Proper maintenance of your cooling unit would ensure its longevity. In order to make sure that your conditioner works at its optimum best, it’s important to carry out regular maintenance checks. The air conditioner comprises of two unit, the inner and the outer unit. Both of these have to be cleaned on a regular basis to ensure better cooling.
Follow these basic maintenance tips from air conditioning experts in North Brisbane, to improve the performance of your air conditioner. The following are the best things you could do.
- The first thing which you need to do before you start with the cleaning is to turn off the electricity supply. Simply switch off the power from the breaker box.
- Start by cleaning the exterior of the unit. Remove the fan cage so you can access the condenser. Make use of a screw driver and remove the fasteners and lift the cage away from the fan. Use a pressure washer to help get rid of the debris. If you don’t have one, you can make use of your hands as well.
- The next step is to clean the fins properly. However when cleaning the fins it is best to avoid using a pressure washer. Instead you can make use of a garden hose. Its gentle stream can gently and effectively clean the dirt trapped between the fins. You can even make use of a commercially designed fin cleaning spray. It is easily available at home stores, just make sure you follow the directions properly.
- All the bent fins should be straightened with a gentle hand. The wrong position of the fins can obstruct the air flow and compromise the cooling of the air conditioner. In order to straighten the fins make use of a butter knife. Just be careful that you don’t damage the tubing during the whole process.
- When all the above mentioned steps are completed and the unit is thoroughly leaned from the outside, replace the cage and also clean the area around the unit. Try to clean at least two feet around the area. This would prevent any dirt or debris from getting trapped into the unit and ensure proper cooling without any obstruction.
- When in cooler months, the unit is not in use, it should be covered with a piece of plywood or plastic. However, care must be taken that it shouldn’t be covered on all four sides.
- Make sure that the unit is levelled on a regular basis. Over a period of time the unit can settle into the soil. It can greatly reduce its performance. Instead try to place the condenser onto a levelled surface which would prevent it from going down. To ensure that the unit is on a level surface to begin with, hire professional air con installs in North Brisbane.
- Cleaning the evaporator coil on the inside of the unit is just as important. Use a soft brush to dust the dirt off the coil. You can even try putting a mixture of bleach and water down the drain. If the evaporator drain is clogged the bleach mixture won’t pass out easily. You may need to unplug the drain. Use a commercial cleaner to get a thorough cleaning.
Make sure to follow these directions for proper maintenance of your air conditioner.